New Year, New You!?! So we are at the end of January, how’s that going for you? Have you stuck to your resolutions? The no carbs, the 7 days a week gym schedule, the new sleeping routine that’s going to revolutionise your productivity? It kind of feels like were setting ourselves up to fail, doesn’t it? I feel like I’ve watched people be eager little beavers, up before the sun sweating it out then mid January swings around and the dreaded loaded nachos post comes #offthewagon.
Wouldn’t it be a wild idea if we started consciously adding some ‘joy winks’ into our day instead of increasing the never-ending to do’s. I love the idea of a fresh start for the new year but to be honest I was pretty happy with the 2018 version of myself. The thought of not eating cheese, subscribing myself to grueling work outs or budgeting within an inch of my life just isn’t for me.
As I have declared 2019 is the year of Home, Health and Hustle. I have chosen to flip my perspective and add good, joyful behaviours into my life instead of restrictive ones.
So what does this look like in real life?
- Health – Instead of signing up for a gym membership that I won’t use, I’m paying per class for a weekly trampolining class that I love! Gym memberships always made me feel so dam guilty and I felt like I ‘should’ go and then when I didn’t I’d beat myself up. Paying per class may be a little more expensive but it means that if I can’t make it for whatever reason I don’t feel like I’m wasting money.
- Home – House work can sometimes feel overwhelming when life gets busy so I have started having a power 15mins the second I walk in the door on a night. I bang on the Alexa (usually Westlife does the trick!) and for 15mins I loads the dishwasher, hoover around, put a load of washing on and whip round the plants. You’d be surprised what you can do in 15mins! I know this might not sounds like joy to everyone but having my home tidy and in order is the key for me to be productive at work and enjoy being in our little space.
- Hustle – Time blocking, I’m sure you’ve all heard of Parkinson’s law “work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion”. Wether I’m replying to e-mails, creating content for the blog or taking product images I always fill my time. This year I’m focusing on giving alloted tasks a completion time and sticking to it. For so long I’ve got my mind stuck in working 9-5 when really a lot of the time I could probably work 9-1 or 3. Leaving me with more time in the afternoon to do what I enjoy!
- Health – I’ve added in a little pamper routine. Dry brushing, face mask, eye patches (who doesn’t love a little hug for their eyes!). I’m not a huge lover of a bath but I’m learning to relax a little more, popping a podcast on has really helped me feel like I’m not just wasting time!
- Home – Making my bed and keeping my bedside table tidy. I know this might sounds strange but is there anything more frustrating than having a pile of book, a lip balm, 3 pairs of earrings and old hair ties and your reading glasses on your bed side table and then sending them all flying in the middle of the night! (I have very active sleep arms!) We actually just got small floating shelves fitted next to our bed so I couldn’t do this anymore. It brings Me immeasurable joy having my glasses, a book and nothing else! And making my bed just makes me feel like I’m really grown up!
Adding in these habits over the past month has felt really good! I feel much more on top of work and home which in turn creates a sense of calm. I also feel like I just have more time and honestly that’s the most important thing to me right now.
What positive behaviours have you added in or are thinking of adding into your daily routine? I’d love to know down below in the comments.